Sunday, November 14, 2010

OCS Graduation!


We left on Wednesday, 11/10, to fly to Rhode Island for AJ's graduation from Officer Candidate School. Having my parents on the plane with me was sooooo nice!!! This is J.T. with AJ's hat Wednesday night at the airport; AJ got to come meet us there.
Thursday afternoon was PIR (Pass In Review): it's when the graduating class officially hands over the command of the regiment to the next class, and are relieved of duty. Which means he got to hang out with us from that point on. :)


Thursday night was the "Hi Moms!" party. My mom made me this dress, which is amazing! I wish I had a better picture of it (and that my hair looked better, but oh well). And somehow we didn't get a picture of the boys with us. Oops.

Friday morning was the family fun run, which I went to with AJ's mom. I really appreciated my parents staying at the hotel with the boys so that I could go. We had to be at the base at 4:15 am. Sounds like fun, huh? Anyway, we did the run with them, and then his drill instructor made them do some calisthenics for us to watch. It was supposed to just be for show, but then somebody messed up, so she put them through a full session. This is in a sand pit, called the Rose Garden, where they always did these.


Lining up to go in the chow hall. Everything had to be done in total unison.

In the chow hall. They all got their food, set it on the table, and stood at attention, until everyone was ready.

After breakfast chow, AJ stayed on base to get ready for graduation. His mom and I went back to the hotel to get ready, too.


Isaac's favorite part of the graduation was visiting the Navy band at the back of the gym. They let him wear the sailor's hat and hold the little trumpet. He kept trying to direct them to play some more when they stopped for the graduation to start.

AJ was one of six "sideboys" waiting to receive a vice-admiral who was one of the keynote speakers.

Standing at attention as a sideboy.




AJ with his chief petty officer and Marine Corps drill instructor, the two people who had total control over his every move for twelve weeks.

Receiving his first salute. As a commissioned officer, he now technically outranks them, and so they give him his first salute. It was really awesome.


Isaac was blissfully unconscious, which I appreciated.


On the plane ride home.




AJ thoroughly enjoyed wearing jeans on the way home.
So now AJ's back in Little Rock with us for two weeks. He then returns to the same base in Rhode Island for a three-week training course in his specific area. During those three weeks, the boys and I will go to Norfolk, VA, to find a place for us to live, and hopefully be decorating for Christmas by the time he joins us. He reports to his ship Dec. 20.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

sounds just as crazy as our lives right now. so exciting!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations AJ and family.

Lisa said...

I love your dress and the part about the salute he got. I'm so happy you get 2 weeks together.

wordandcraft said...

Wow! How exciting for all of you!

Abbey and Todd said...

yay!!! I'm so glad that part is over, and you are together again. That is neat to see him in his outfit. I can't wait to hear about your adventures :)

Ruachel said...

Congratulations AJ and family! I can't believe how busy you are, but achieving great goals. Your boys are so big and handsome. I hope you are able to find a place to live and get your festive decorations up. We miss having you in our ward. You're a great family. :)